How to Apply for Financial Aid
Did you know that applying for Financial Aid early can make a difference in the amount of money that you receive? We recommend that you apply as early as possible.
Ready to apply? Apply online with the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or stop into the Financial Aid Office for assistance. After you receive your Student Aid Report from the Federal Processor you must either:
- Respond to the “Required Actions Letter” email from the Seattle Vocational Institute Financial Aid Office. OR
- Visit our office or call us at 206.934.4977 to review your information and learn more about the additional documents needed to complete your file.
Students are eligible for Financial Aid (Federal and State Grants as well as Work Study) consideration if they are:
- A U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen.
- Able to submit an official transcript verifying completion of High School or a GED®.
- Attending Seattle Vocational Institute (SVI) for the purpose of obtaining a degree or certificate (minimum length of two quarters).
- Making satisfactory academic progress as defined by SVI’s financial aid.
- Satisfactory Academic Progress criteria.
- Not in default on any previous student loans and do not owe a repayment on a grant.
- Registered with Selective Service (if male), as required by law.
If you meet these requirements, you may be eligible for funding. Complete the Financial Aid application process to learn more, and explore other ways to pay for college.
Note, undocumented individuals (DREAMERS) may be eligible for Washington State funding through the WAFSA. Learn more.
Examples of additional documents that may be needed to complete your file include, but are not limited to, the following: Institutional Data Sheet, a copy of your and/or your parent(s) Federal Income Tax transcript, a copy of your Social Security Card, proof of citizenship status or eligible non-citizenship verification, proof of Selective Service registration, Federal Verification Worksheet.
Financial Aid Student Portal
Want to view your additional document requests, financial aid awards or get messages from the Financial Aid office online? You may also view your file status online using the Financial Aid Portal.
How to Login to the Financial Aid Portal:
- Your username is your Social Security Number
- Your password is your SVI PIN (if PIN is four digits add a zero to the beginning of your PIN)
- Select Award Year after logging into the Portal.
- Close the browser when you are finished! This protects the confidentiality of your records.
Note: Logging in with someone else’s information constitutes improper use of this system and is a violation of state and federal privacy laws.