Medical Assistant Scholarship
Accepting Applications Spring 2019
Medical Assistant Scholarship
Accepting Applications Spring 2019
KAISER PERMANENTE MEDICAL ASSISTANT CAREER LAUNCH SCHOLARSHIP
In partnership with Seattle Central College, Kaiser Permanente will offer 20 scholarships to study Medical Assisting at Seattle Vocational Institute (SVI). You can earn full tuition, as well as stipends for books, supplies and fees. You will participate in an internship at a medical clinic and have ongoing mentoring and professional development from Kaiser Permanente staff.
As part of the frontline medical care team, Medical Assistants play a key role in helping nurses, doctors, medical specialists and surgeons with patient care and administrative duties. Medical assisting is quickly becoming one of the nation’s fastest growing careers, and this scholarship is a great opportunity to start in the health care field.
Scholarship applications will open in Spring 2019
Contact Krystal.Sales@seattlecolleges.edu. for questions or to be added to an interest list.
What to expect from the program:
- Scholarship & Financial Assistance: Full tuition, fees, books, and supplies for the four quarter Medical Assistant program at Seattle Vocational Institute
- Academic Support: Coaching and academic support from Seattle Colleges and tutors
- Mentorship & Professional Development: Learn from health care professionals from Kaiser Permanente and get real world experience through workshops and an internship at a medical clinic
You will take part in:
- Kick-Off Orientation
- Pre-Requisite courses ("Summer Jump Start") Two summer pre-requisite courses before the program starts
- SVI Medical Assisting Program Full-time, four quarter program including an externship in a clinic
- Professional Development Quarterly mentorship workshops to learn new skills and build your professional network
- Coaching sessions support and tutoring from a Seattle Colleges Navigator
For additional questions or inquiries, please contact Krystal.Sales@seattlecolleges.edu.
Check out our newest scholarship recipients:
The application and enrollment instructions for Fall 2019-2020 will be updated this spring.
This program aims to help diverse and/or economically or socially disadvantaged students enter the health care field. However, all students who meet the following basic eligibility requirements should apply:
- High School Diploma (or GED): A high school transcript or GED completion document is required. Please bring a copy of your HS or GED transcript to SVI
- Age: You must be 18 years old
- Criminal Background Check: Complete a criminal background check administered by SVI
- Physical Exam and Immunizations Requirements: You are required to meet the health requirements of health care industry employers. During the MA program, a physical exam and immunizations will be required (immunization fees will be included in the scholarship program)
- Student Health Insurance Responsibility: You are responsible for having health insurance coverage (not covered by the scholarship program). We may be able to connect you with support for enrolling in a health insurance program
These items below are not program requirements. However, preference will be given to applicants who meet any of the following:
- First-generation college student:Both parents did not graduate from a two- or four-year college
- Low-income:300% of the federal poverty level
- Bilingual: Speak English plus a second language fluently
- Diversity: racial/ethnic populations underrepresented in health care, LGBTQ, veterans and those with a disability
- Experience: Regularly volunteering or working in a public health setting, such a free clinic, health education organization or health and wellness activities at school
- Scholarship Orientation
- Summer Jump Start Program: Computer Skills and Medical Terminology pre-requisite courses held in the summer
- Professional Development Workshops: Workshops will be held quarterly
What is the MA program like and what do Medical Assistants do?
Medical Assistants serve as critical support to doctors and nurses in a clinical setting. This program is the perfect opportunity for you to become a well-rounded health care professional who can do it all, especially if you enjoy working on a team, caring for patients, and being in a fast-paced environment. Our program is packed with a robust curriculum, hands on training, field trips and clinical experiences.
Does Kaiser Permanente Medical Assistant Career Launch Scholarship Program guarantee me a job at Kaiser Permanente?
This is a scholarship program for the Medical Assistant Program at Seattle Vocational Institute and is not a guarantee of future employment. However, medical assisting is a high-demand career and you will interact with many employers through professional development, an externship and support with job placement.
What type of support will I get in the program?
You will have access to free tutoring, coaching and professional development in addition to all the student services available through Seattle Central College.
What if I am not selected? Can I join the program in the future?
If you are not selected for the scholarship, you can still enroll in the Medical Assistant program that starts each quarter. SVI also matches most students with other grants and financial aid.
If I am accepted, can I work during the Medical Assisting program?
The Medical Assisting Program is a full-time, four quarter program and will require a lot of time and effort. It is recommended that you work no more than part-time.
Who should I contact with questions?
Please email Krystal Sales at Krystal.Sales@seattlecolleges.edu.
About Kaiser Permanente
We are recognized as one of America’s leading health care providers and not-for-profit health plans. Founded in 1945, Kaiser Permanente has a mission to provide high-quality, affordable health care services and to improve the health of our members and the communities we serve.
We currently serve more than 11.8 million members in eight states and the District of Columbia. We focus on the total health of our members, guided by their personal Permanente Medical Group physicians, specialists and team of caregivers. Our medical teams are empowered and supported by industry-leading technology advances and tools for health promotion, disease prevention, state-of-the-art care delivery and world-class chronic disease management. Kaiser Permanente is dedicated to care innovations, clinical research, health education and the support of community health. For more information, go to: kp.org/share.