About the Program
Are you interested in working alongside doctors and nurses? Do you enjoy fast-paced work and caring for others? If so, a career as a Medical Assistant might be the perfect fit for you.
Our Medical Assistant Certificate Program prepares you with the skills needed for today's modern healthcare settings. And your education with us will be a great investment in your future. According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, medical assisting jobs will grow 29 percent over the next decade.
A typical day on the job includes: Taking patient vitals, preparing patients for surgery, reviewing daily patient schedules with a physician, organizing charts, filling out paperwork and health forms. Our graduates work in emergency departments, primary care clinics, nursing homes, outpatient clinics and more.
Over the past five years, we graduate 76 percent of our students who start with us and 98 percent of our graduates are satisfied with the program.
Our program includes:
- Electronic medical records
- Patient clinical care services
- Medical insurance
- Medical terminology
- Interpersonal communication skills
- Administrative procedures
- Computer proficiency
- Customer service
Our fully-accredited program is designed to prepare graduates for their Certified Medical Assistant examination. Students who pass this examination become nationally certified, and are eligible to apply for Washington state-level certification. Full and part-time enrollment is available.
Kaiser Permanente Medical Assistant Career Launch Scholarship
In partnership with SVI, Kaiser Permanente is offering free tuition, books, fees, mentorship and an internship for 20 students to study medical assisting at SVI. Applications will open in Spring 2019. Read more information about this scholarship.
|BCT 111 or BUS 169||Using Computers in Business||5|
|AMA 117 or AHL113/114||Medical Terminology||5|
|CMA 101||Introduction to Medical Assisting||5|
|CMA 102||Fundamentals of Administrative Medical Assisting||4|
|CMA 103||Fundamentals of Clinical Medical Assisting||6|
|CMA 104||Billing and Coding Procedures||5|
|CMA 105||Phlebotomy and Laboratory Procedures||10|
|CMA 106||Administrative and Clinical Practice/Review||7|
|CMA 107||Medication Administration and Pharmacology||8|
|CMA 108||Medical Assisting Practicum||12|
Five quarters, 97 credits
By the end of the course of study in the Medical Assistant program students should be able to:
- Demonstrate knowledge and competency of medical front office administrative skills, including electronic record keeping, clerical responsibilities, scheduling appointments, insurance verification, reception, effective communication and critical thinking skills.
- Demonstrate knowledge of medical terminology, anatomy, physiology, use effective verbal and written communication skills with physicians, peers, healthcare workers, and patients as would be necessary in an ambulatory care setting.
- Demonstrate knowledge of psycho-social skills relative to patient needs self-growth and personal development.
- Possess and use clinical skills and knowledge relative to the daily functions of an ambulatory care setting.
- Demonstrate knowledge of job readiness with resume building, interviewing skills, and complete competency in all basic medical assisting skills by successfully completing a practicum in an ambulatory care facility.
- Demonstrate knowledge of State, Federal and AAMA regulations in regards to credentialing and certification.
Students must pass the Comprehensive Adult Student Assessment Systems (CASAS) exam at the appropriate level. In addition, a high school diploma or GED® documentation is required.
Note: This program does not allow for Advanced Placement or Transfer of Clock Hours, and does not recognize prior and/or experiential learning for credit. We are making allowance for transfer of credit as we are seeing an increased number of students who are already degree prepared. This is a Veterans Affairs (VA)-approved program.
64.81% in 2015
72.01% (5 year average)
100% in 2015
98.85% (5 year average)
Total Number of Graduates
26 in 2015
274 (5 year total)
The Seattle Vocational Institute Medical Assistant Certificate Program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP), upon the recommendation of the Medical Assisting Education Review Board (MAERB).
Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs
1361 Park Street
Clearwater, FL 33756