Ways to Pay for College

Financial Aid

As a Seattle Vocational Institute (SVI) student, you may qualify for Financial Aid to help you pay for all or some of your costs associated with attending school. Apply early to find out if you are eligible for grants, Work Study, loans or other funding resources.

Workforce Education Funding

If you receive unemployment benefits, have exhausted unemployment benefits within the last two years you may be eligible for Workforce assistance.


WorkFirst tuition assistance to parents currently receiving Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF). If you are working in paid employment for at least 20 hours per week or more and have a monthly income within 175 percent of the Federal Poverty Level you may be eligible for WorkFirst assistance.

Worker Retraining

If you are currently collecting unemployment benefits, or have exhausted unemployment benefits in the last 48 months, you are a displaced homemaker, you were formerly self-employed, or you were honorably discharged from the military in the last 48 months, or are currently working in an occupation that is considered to be “not in demand” (see list of occupations), then you may qualify for Worker Retraining assistance.

Basic Food Employment and Training

Offers funding for those currently receiving basic food assistance through the Department of Social and Human Services (DSHS). Rehabilitation or community based organizations must have their signed voucher to the Financial Aid Office at least one week prior to the start of the quarter.

Opportunity Grant

If you are a Washington State resident (12 month minimum) and your family income is at or below 200 percent of the Federal Poverty Level then you may qualify for the Opportunity Grant. This grant helps cover tuition, fees, books, and supplies for one academic year. It also offers support services for emergency child care and emergency transportation.

Other Funding Options


Start researching scholarships now for next year. Seattle Vocational Institute accepts scholarships from all sources: institutional, state, federal, community based, tribal, private party, and corporate scholarships. If you are looking for scholarships the WashBoard connects Washington Students with scholarship providers.

Labor and Industries (L&I)

If you cannot work due to an on-the-job injury you may qualify for assistance.

Agency Voucher

The college accepts vouchers for students receiving funding support from any public or private agency such as the Department of Vocational Rehabilitation.

Tuition Waivers for Veterans

Partial tuition waivers are available for veterans who served active duty, their children and spouse. As a veteran, you may be eligible for a partial tuition waiver (50 percent in–state tuition rate) if you are an undergraduate pursuing your first bachelor’s degree with no more than 225 credits.

You may be eligible to receive a waiver of all tuition and fees (100 percent in–state tuition rate) up to 200 college–level credits if your parent or spouse was an *eligible veteran or national guard member who:

  1. Became totally disabled as defined in RCW 28B.15.385; or
  2. Who lost his or her life while engaged in active federal military or naval services; or
  3. Who is determined by the federal government to be a prisoner of war or missing in action.

Students sign up for the State of Washington tuition reduction in the Veterans’ Affairs office at Seattle Central College, Room BE1104C after talking to the SVI registrar.

Eligible veteran: One who served in active federal service, under either Title 10 or Title 32 of the United States Code, in a war or conflict fought on foreign soil or in international waters or in another location in support of those serving on foreign soil or in international waters, and if discharged from service, has received an honorable discharge.

Veterans Benefits

Students sign up for veterans educational benefits at the Seattle Central College, Veterans’ Affairs Office, Room BE1104C. Other forms like credit evaluations and course approvals may be required depending on the total number of credits earned and students’ major status. VA Applications are available from the Veterans Affairs office, or they can be downloaded from the Veterans Administration website. Detailed information on each chapter can be obtained from the GI Bill website.

Support for Former Foster Youth

You may be eligible for the Passport Scholarship. For eligibility criteria, check with the financial aid office or criteria.

Tuition Re-imbursement

Check with your Human Resources department to see if your current employer offers education assistance.

SB 6523 – Real Hope Act

Washington Dream Act students will be able to complete a free Washington Application for State Financial Aid (WASFA). For more information visit Ready Set Grad.